varoberts

varoberts

Dark Money: The Hidden History of the Billionaires Behind the Rise of the Radical Right
Jane Mayer
Progress: 140/464 pages
Down Among the Sticks and Bones
Seanan McGuire
Side Hustle: From Idea to Income in 27 Days
Chris Guillebeau

Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born

The Dark Tower, Volume 1: The Gunslinger Born - Richard Isanove, Jae Lee, Robin Furth, Peter David, Stephen King The only issue I have with this graphic adaptation of the Dark Tower series is timing. Obviously when King wrote his thousand page story of Roland's youth he had a little more time to work with. The relationship between Roland and Susan seems too rushed, there isn't enough tension before the relationship is consumated. And, because of the nature of the medium, some of the more important characters in the book can't be developed the same way in the graphic novel. And understanding the comic form in which it originally existed, well you can't really let character development linger too much, as you'll loose your reader without a significant amount of action. Overall however, the illustrations were absolutely beautiful, although a little is take away from their majesty, by an explanation of how they were done. I guess it just comes down to liking King's magnum opus more, and possibly being more attached to the pictures in my head than soemone else's recreations.